Friday, September 14, 2012

Flood (check), Earthquake (check) and Fire (check)

Yep...we have now lived thru them all.  So, good...now we are done!  Many of you know that in late June our upstairs bathroom flooded our downstairs laundry, hall and office at our home in Ross.  So, while we were moving our belongings, we were also remodeling!  All the damages walls, floors and ceilings had to be ripped out and replaced.  But, somehow we got it done in the middle of everything else.  Then on Sept. 5th we had the BIG quake here and then last night we had a fire! 

Our property manager had come over earlier in the day to replace a whole bunch of light bulbs that had stopped working since the quake and to put some of the recessed lights back up in the ceiling because they had come loose and were just hanging.  The one light that hangs over the bench we have been using as our "backpack" bench was one of them that had been hanging.  Marissa had gone down the street to interview a neighbor for a school report and the big boys were at the nearby Country Day School with all the teenagers playing Capture the Flag as a fundraiser to help replace the roof on the cafeteria at Country Day that had collapsed in the earthquake.  William and I were playing around on the computer looking at photos of different frogs, when I smelled this smell.  When I looked up I saw smoke coming from the light over the bench.  At the same moment, the light popped and went out.  The major smoke seemed to stop, but when I got a flash light I could see that smoke was still coming from the bamboo on the ceiling around the light fixture.  I stood and watched it a while hoping it would stop, but it did not and the smoke started to cling to the whole ceiling.

I then called the property manager and they had two guys over in a  couple minutes, Marcus and Michael.  They used the fire extinguisher from my car, then actually brought in a hose from the outside and sprayed the ceiling all down.  I was worried about the water, but they said that the house was made of cement and tile, so it will be fine.  And it appears to be!

We never saw any flames, just sparks and smoke....but, that was plenty.  Good thing it is a "cool" day today (I say this because it is still close to 80 degrees) so I can have the whole house open to air out.

It's a quiet Friday and I just returned from getting my toes and nails done by a neighbor lady who has a little salon in a guest house at her house.  Her name in Marlin and as she does my nails she tries to teach me Spanish.  The cost for both a pedicure (today she also gave me a coffee scrub) and manicure is about $10.  Not bad!

Made me forget about the fire anyway for a while (until I walked back in the house...it smells like a camp fire!).  But, this too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment